At SGCC, it is our desire to build a Christ exalting, Gospel centered, disciple making church. We want all that we do as a church to be informed by this three-fold mission.
With that in view, the Youth Ministry of Sovereign Grace Community Church exists to partner with parents in discipling and equipping their teens to become passionate worshippers of God in the following areas. First, it is our prayer that each teenager would be more passionate about Christ than any other pursuit. Second, it is our desire that each teenager would aspire to allow the gospel to inform and impact every area of their lives. Finally, it is our hope that as they are transformed by the power of the gospel, they would in turn endeavor to influence peers and those in our world with the life changing message of the gospel.
These are lofty goals, only achievable by the grace of God and His power working in us. Teenagers are becoming increasingly difficult to reach as the church, parents and real people often take a back seat to the constant stream of new technology and media. It is ironic that our teens now have the ability to be connected electronically to people all over the world, and yet they have been called “The Disconnected Generation” as a large majority spends more time now staring at computer & cell phone screens, updating Facebook accounts and texting than interacting face to face with real people.
Our desire at SGCC is to partner with parents, not replace parents, in discipling and nurturing the spiritual health of your teenagers. We believe scripture teaches that parents are to be the primary influence in their teenager’s lives and parents are ultimately responsible “to bring them up in the discipline and in instruction of the Lord” (Eph. 6:4). It is our joy as pastors to help you in this process. In light of that, the teaching in our corporate youth meetings is often geared toward both the teenagers and the parents.
Statistics point out that what happens in the home is much more influential than what happens at a meeting or in a church program. Therefore, it is our desire to make all that we do in our youth meetings transferable to the home. We want to help parents by providing resources and teaching that will help families to model and live out the gospel with one another in the everyday home life.
- Ephesians 6:4 (ESV) 4 Fathers, do not provoke your children to anger, but bring them up in the discipline and instruction of the Lord.
- Deuteronomy 6:4-9 (ESV) 4 “Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one. 5 You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might. 6 And these words that I command you today shall be on your heart. 7 You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise. 8 You shall bind them as a sign on your hand, and they shall be as frontlets between your eyes. 9 You shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates.
- Provide resources (See suggested bibliography for raising teens)
- Provide application questions for small group discussion and take-home discussion (homework!!!)
- Parent meetings – There may be some meetings that the teenagers won’t attend
- Second Saturday Seminars – Parenting Teens Class
- One on One meetings with Parents (and their teenagers when desired)
- Help connect parents with one another (testimonies of those who have “gone before”)
Our Youth Meetings take place the 1st and 3rd Sunday night of every month. We meet in the Rudolph’s home from 6:30 to 8:30. Each time, we gather for a time of teaching, discussion, fellowship, snacks, and fun!